Wayne Theatre Alliance
The mission of the Wayne Theatre Alliance is to promote the economic vitality, educational opportunities and cultural life of Waynesboro and the adjacent region through the preservation and operation of the Wayne Theatre as a performing arts/conference center.
In August 2011, the Wayne Theatre Alliance opened a temporary performance venue, WTA's Gateway, while the Wayne Theatre is under restoration. Performances are scheduled every weekend and include a range of entertainment: Jazz, Blues, Bluegrass, Comedy, Variety Shows, Talent Night, Magicians, Puppets, and more.
About the Wayne Theatre:
On January 18, 1926, Cols. Loth and Patterson opened the doors on Waynesboro's first vaudeville/silent movie theatre. Its neo-classical facade, fashionable interior, and mighty organ were the wonders of the day. Seeking to take advantage of the post-war boom, the management gutted and expanded the original auditorium in 1949. In 1980, a fire began in the concession area and travelled upward into the balcony. This allowed the owners to remodel the auditorium and divide it into two theatres. Twenty years later, the management decided to withdraw from the Waynesboro entertainment market and turned the Wayne over to the city. The Waynesboro City Council created the Wayne Theatre Alliance and empowered the group to oversee the revitalization of the Wayne Theatre.