Creative Cats...Smithfield, Virginia is where the HeART is!
Smithfield, incorporated in 1752, maintains its quaint river town feel & is known worldwide for its unique hams. It delivers "hams, history, hospitality & HeART,"
Day 1: Begin at the Visitor Center - also home to the Arts Center @ 319 - offering tourist information, a gallery/gift shop & the chance to chat with resident artists. Peruse the 5 art galleries along Main Street & stop by the post office which features a mural of the early settlers of the county. Lunch at the Gourmet Bakery. Take in the exclusive shops downtown. 7 bronze statues are placed throughout the town, depicting such figures as Benjamin Franklin or Robert Frost. Also view the painted pigs of the Porcine Parade. Finish with dinner at Smithfield Station, and then attend one of our local concerts, events, a class at the Arts Center or a massage at Encore Pilates.
Day 2: Breakfast downtown at the Gourmet Bakery, then visit the Isle of Wight County Museum with its overview of the county's history, the world's oldest ham & beautiful stained glass dome. Take a Walking Tour of the Historic District featuring over 50 historic buildings, including the 1750 Courthouse, modeled after the Capitol Building in Colonial Williamsburg, & the Schoolhouse Museum, an African-American Museum built in 1932. Stop for lunch at the Ice Cream Parlor, then head to Historic St. Luke's Church (c1632), the oldest existing church of English foundation in America & the only surviving original brick Gothic church, to view their stained glass windows & bronze statues. The county offers 2 historic forts in lovely natural settings overlooking the James River. Historic Fort Huger, the "Gateway to the Confederate Capital," offers a self-guided walking tour to view mounted cannon & the ghost fleet. Fort Boykin Historic Park was constructed in 1623 to protect the colonists from the Indians & raiding Spaniards. Finish your visit to Smithfield & Isle of Wight County with scenic riverside dinner at Captain Chuck-a-Muck's in the village of Rescue.