Wharton Memorial Garden
The Wharton Memorial Garden is a significant public garden that joins the newly-renovated Public Library and the three historic structures built either by or through the efforts of the Wharton family.
The Charles Wharton House, built circa 1886, is owned by the City and was restored by the Historical Society. The John Wharton House, built in 1848, was purchased and restored by the Wharton Foundation. The garden features a gazebo, a winding brick pathway, sculpture, a boxwood maze and unending beauty.
The gardens are maintained through the generous donations from the community and the tireless work of its volunteers. As part of the garden there is the "Secret Garden", a wildflower garden started by Ms. Wharton, and the Wente Garden. Dr. Wente was a local physician who hybridized daylilies, and the beautiful garden is in his honor.