Humpback Bridge

Humpback Bridge is the only covered, humpback bridge remaining in the United States.  It's also a cherished landmark, now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, where residents and visitors alike gather for picnics, photos or simply to admire her beauty and craftsmanship.

The bridge was constructed in 1857, and the design of the bridge, to be covered and arched, was to increase its longevity and keep the midpoint above flood waters.  This nearly 110 foot structure was built with a broad axe and put together with hand hewed locust pins.  The bridge was used for vehicular traffic on Route 60 (Midland Trail) until 1929.  In 1953, The Covington Business and Professional Woman's Club, the Virginia Department of Transportation, and the area residents restored the bridge.  Three eras of transportation history can be seen at this site: the old road crossing Humpback Bridge, the new state highway bridge on Route 60 (Midland Trail) and the CSX railroad bridge.

Fans of covered bridges come from all over the world to admire the historic Humpback Bridge.  It has been lovingly preserved and is now part of a five-acre wayside park.  It's uniquely Alleghany.