Hoffler Creek Wildlife Preserve
This 142-acre site includes vast wetlands, a heavily wooded forest and a unique saltwater lake. Walking trails, kayaking and bird watching are activities that can be enjoyed here.
Located on the shores of Hoffler Creek, the preserve is the last viable wilderness area in Portsmouth and is a thriving habitat for countless species of plants and animals native to Southeastern Virginia.
Plans are being made to build a 3,200 square foot nature center, along with an outdoor classroom, a habitat display, a butterfly garden and pond, a wildlife meadow, an oyster garden, walking trails and a wildlife observation tower.
Kayaking at Hoffler Creek:
- HCWF has 4 tandem kayaks and 1 single kayak available for rent.
- We launch kayaks between 10 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
- Bring a drivers license or other identification.
- You should be prepared to get a little wet.
- Please bring cash or check. HCWF does not accept credit cards for kayak rentals.