Old City Cemetery
Also known as the Old Methodist Cemetery, this registered historic landmark opened in 1806 as a public burying ground.
The 26-acre site features more than 2000 historic gravestones, monuments, and ironwork enclosures;
Butterfly Garden & Lotus Pond;
garden of 19th-century shrubs and local architectural relics;
Pest House Medical Museum, depicting conditions in a Civil War quarantine hospital;
Cemetery Center, housing an office and small museum of mourning customs;
Hearse House & Caretakers' Museum, featuring an original 1900 horse-drawn hearse and gravemarkers exhibit;
Station House Museum--an 1898 C&O Railway depot that interprets local railroad history;
and Confederate Section containing 2200 graves of Civil War soldiers from 14 states.
Significant African-American history, from slavery to integration.
Gates open daily, dawn to dusk.