Historic Edinburg Mill

The Edinburg Mill was built by Major George Grandstaff in 1848.  It is one of only a few that survived "The Burning" during the Civil War and it was in continuous operation untl 1979 when it was converted into a restaurant.  The restaurant closed in 1998, and the Town and the Edinburg Heritage Foundation purchased the Mill in February 2000.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, located in Edinburg's Historic District, the mill is a designated Virginia Historic Landmark.  It is located on the historic Valley Pike, (U.S. Route 11), and serves as a prominent and scenic resource along this designated Virginia Scenic Byway.

Now home to a visitor center and the "Museum at the Edinburg Mill." The Museum tells the story of the mill, the town, the Valley Pike, the Shenandoah River, and the railroad.  A 50 seat theater features a 45 minute film entitled, "The Burning" based on John Heatwole's book of the same name.  The Foundation operates a gift shop and additional retail businesses and another full service restaurant are planned to open during 2012.  The area also offers some of the finest freshwater fishing in the state.

 

Fees

 Museum and film $2.00; On-site Visitor Center free