Goochland Historical Museum
The Goochland Board of Supervisors gave permission for the Goochland Historical Society to adapt the Old Stone Jail (c. 1833) on the Courthouse Green into a museum and library. The Jail was constructed when the James River & Kanawaha Canal was being built westward along the James River. River stones were brought up the hill to the site. Recently refurbished, the Jail Museum now houses the Society's new exhibit tracing the history of Goochland from the 1700s to the 20th Century. The exhibit details the formation of the county in 1728 by Sir William Gooch, Lt. Governor. Early Indian relics and the first patent for land dated 1703 begin Goochland's history. Hours: Open by appointment. Call for information.