Westmoreland County Museum and Library
The oldest museum in the Northern Neck was founded in 1941 to preserve the important history and artifacts of the county and its people. Its treasures include the notable portrait of Sir William Pitt, painted by Charles Willson Peale, commissioned by the patriots of Westmoreland County in 1768, an 1898 portrait of General Robert E. Lee by Eliphalet Andrews, and a chair from George Washington's dining room. Exhibits include Native American artifacts, geology and archaeology of local sites, a furniture collection and an extensive portrait and painting collection.
In addition to these exhibits, the Museum hosts several receptions and lectures each year (including a monthly "Art & Wine" Reception featuring a new local artisan), community events, and an annual Holiday House Tour.
The Museum, which also serves as the Westmoreland County Visitor Center, houses a history and genealogy research library. On the museum grounds is the location of the Presidents' Garden, the first garden designed by Mr. Charles Freeman Gillette in the Northern Neck, with busts of locally born presidents Madison, Monroe and Washington sculpted by Atillio Picirilli, and managed by the Westmoreland County Garden Club.