Westmoreland County Museum and Library

The oldest  museum in the Northern Neck was founded in 1941 to preserve the important  history and artifacts of the county and its people. Its treasures include the  notable portrait of Sir William Pitt, painted by Charles Willson Peale,  commissioned by the patriots of Westmoreland County in 1768, an 1898 portrait of  General Robert E. Lee by Eliphalet Andrews, and a chair from George Washington's  dining room. Exhibits include Native American artifacts, geology and archaeology  of local sites, a furniture collection and an extensive portrait and painting  collection.

In addition to these exhibits, the Museum hosts several  receptions and lectures each year (including a monthly "Art & Wine"  Reception featuring a new local artisan), community events, and an annual Holiday House Tour. 

The Museum, which also serves as the Westmoreland County Visitor Center, houses a history  and genealogy research library.  On the museum grounds is the location of  the Presidents' Garden, the first garden designed by Mr. Charles Freeman  Gillette in the Northern Neck, with busts of locally born presidents Madison,  Monroe and Washington sculpted by Atillio Picirilli, and managed by the  Westmoreland County Garden Club.

Fees

 FREE