Thomas Murray House

This private residence was constructed in 1791 by Isaac Murray for his son Thomas. The location on Kings Creek and the Eastern Branch of the Elizabeth River provided transportation for the flax trade that was the livlihood of this plantation. The walls of the house are 18" thick and the brick is laid in Flemish bond. The gambrel roof includes 5 dormers on either side. Restoration began in 1952 and has continued to the present, the most recent project being complete reworking of the five fireplaces. Today the house rests on nearly two acres in its own historical and cultural district. In 1988 a carriage house and storehouse of period design were added to the property. See a photo on the website.

Fees

 private residence.