The Jackson Blacksmith Shop

Three generations of the Jackson Family worked as blacksmiths and farriers, in shops on and near the site of this last remaining blacksmith shop, in Goochland County and vicinty.  This blacksmithing tradition started during slavery with Henry Jackson, born circa 1826, who built his own shop in 1880.  His son, G. Wilson Jackson, Sr., had shops on or near this site.  George W. Jackson, Jr. practiced blacksmithing into the early 1970's in this last shop.  Built in 1932, farmers and sawmillers from many areas of the state came to this shop to have their horses shod and farm tools repaired.  The shop was restored in 1995 and is now listed on the Virginia Register of Historic Places.