Suffolk Christian Church

A version of Suffolk Christian Church has stood on North Main since  1861.  The  original church, was a simple Greek revival structure with a pointed  steeple. Church history notes that it was used during the Civil War by federal Army chaplains and as a military hospital.

Then in 1892 it was torn down and a new building, a portion that  still includes the sanctuary today, was constructed. Dedicated in January 1894, its  second church cost $40,000.

From the front, this Romanesque-revival building appeared  symmetrical. Two stunted polygonal towers framed three arched entrance  doors. The towers and the sanctuary were lined with long, slender arched  windows that all had the same motif - a central floral design in blue,  gold, green and purple, punctuated by orange glass jewels.

The large, Gothic revival-style window above the altar, a confection of  mostly cobalt blue glass, mouth-blown and hand-painted, was installed in  1952 - fairly recent for a church that's 114 years old.

A smaller interior window, an artificially lit Gothic revival-style Nativity scene, is even newer. It was added in 1995.

There are 65 windows at the rear of the sanctuary and elsewhere around the church.  The Victorian ornamental stained glass, featuring a stylized flower  surrounded by a colored band, has cast a glow upon generations of  worshippers.