St. Stephen's Episcopal Church
The oldest church building in the Town of Culpeper, St. Stephen's was built in 1821.
During the Civil War, the Town of Culpeper was shelled several times, and town residents would hurry to the former rectory on South East Street and hide in the large and deep cellar. The church continued to minister to citizens and soldiers, and became a hospital following the Battles of First and Second Manassas, Brandy Station, and Cedar Mountain. During the winter of 1863, General J.E.B. Stuart and his staff regularly attended services at St. Stephen's.
A cemetery and monument are on the church grounds. Visitors are welcome - please be considerate during any services in progress throughout the week.
Please contact the Church office Mon - Fri, 9 am to 3 pm, to arrange a visit or tour, (540) 825-8786.