Slash Christian Church (D.O.C)

Slash Church, built 1729 by the Anglican Parishioners, of southern yellow pine timbers cut & hand-hewn from the property in Hanover. Pastored by Rev.Patrick Henry,uncle of Patrick Henry,from 1737-1777. Henry Clay-the Mill boy of the Slashes was a member.Revolution: Slash was turned back to the community and used by the Methodists & the Disciples of Christ,the later purchasing Slash in 1842 & restoring this original wood building. In 1862, Slash was used as a 'hotel' for Confederate Brig.Gen.L.O'Brian Branch & 4500 Soldiers May 27,1862 during The Battle of Slash Church (in the South) & The Battle of Hanover Courthouse (in the North). VA Historical Marker E105: "This white weatherboarded structure survives as the oldest and best preserved frame colonial church in Virginia, and the only one to escape enlargement." Tours by Appointment - Free