Palmyra Old Stone Jail

Old Stone Jail Museum was built in 1828, designed by General John Hartwell Cocke and built by John G. Hughes. The early minutes of the County Court indicate that a “sufficient Gaol” was needed. In 1963 the “Gaol” was opened as the museum for the permanent collection of Fluvanna historical artifacts.  

The Museum will be open for tours late May through early October on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 1-4 pm and on Sundays from 2-5 pm.  Special group tours may be arranged with Judith Mickelson. Tours begin at Maggie’s House. Admission by donation.

Fees

 0