National Cemetery

Danville's only National Cemetery (located next to Green Hill Cemetery) was created just after the Civil War in 1867. During the war, wagons carried the corpses of those who succumbed in Danville's prisons to Green Hill Cemetery where they were interred in mass graves. After the war, the bodies were exhumed and buried beneath individual markers or sent to their homes in the North for reburial. This section of Green Hill Cemetery was then turned into a National Cemetery. One-thousand-three-hundred-and-twenty-three (1,323) Union soldiers are buried at the National Cemetery. Of that number, 148 are unknown.
Hours: Until 4:00 P.M. daily