Mill Creek Church

The current church stands on the site of the wartime Mill Creek Church, used as a hospital during the battle of Cross Keys, June 8, 1862. More than two years later, in September 1864, the church was at the center of the Union effort to burn out the Confederate "breadbasket" in this part of the Valley. The sign also tells about the struggle of the peaceful Brethren Church members, the "Dunkers," as they were buffeted by the war around them.