Lee Chapel and Museum

Built at the request and under the supervision of Confederate General Robert E. Lee in 1867 when he was president of then Washington College.  The famous recumbent statue of General Lee by Edward Valentine is on the main floor.  On the lower level Lee's office is preserved much as he left it.  He and his family are buried in the lower level of the Chapel.  The Washington-Custis-Lee collection of portraits, including the well-known Charles Wilson Peale portrait of George Washington, are in the Chapel and its museum.  General Lee's famous horse, Traveller, is buried outside the Chapel.