Kingsmill, Kingsmill Wharf
This site was known as Allen's Wharf during the Peninsula Campaign. The wharf was used as a landing area for Confederate troops, weapons, ammunition, and other needed supplies that had come down the James River from Richmond. The wharf was located at the southern end of Quarterpath Road (then known as Quarterpath Trace), which was a vital transportation link between the James River landing and Williamsburg to the north. In June, 1861, Confederate troops under Colonel Benjamin Ewell constructed gun emplacements and earthworks at strategic locations along Quarterpath Road between Allen's Wharf and Tutters Neck within the Kingsmill area which were a part of General John B. Magruder's Williamsburg defensive line.