Historic Jericho School

The Jericho School is a one-room schoolhouse that served African-American school children in Caroline County from the 1900s to 1959. The present building dates back to 1917. It initially served children in grades 1-7, but when it was integrated into the county's school system, it served grades 1-4.

Presentations are made typically on Saturdays and include living history lessons, public lectures, seminars, and workshops. They are designed to maintain the history of education as it was experienced in post-Emancipation Proclamation in Caroline County.

Located 2.5 miles west of US-1 in Carmel Church.

Historic Jericho School, Inc. is a non-profit organization formed to preserve the history and experiences of past students and teachers. For more information, contact Henrietta Rock at 804-448-0749.