Hillsville Historic District

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2002, the Hillsville Historic District is located within the downtown area of Hillsville.  This county seat town of Carroll County dates to the formation of the county in 1842.  The historic district is comprised of 14 buildings, one object, and covers approximately 50 acres.  Key buildings include The Historic Carroll County Courthouse, Hillsville Diner (now oldest continuously operating streetcar diner in the state), Hale-Wilkinson-Carter Home, former 1907 bank building, 1936 jail, two late-19th century buildings, and a row of historic businesses built after the Hillsville Fire of 1931, marked footprint of county's second jail site, and other buildings.  The object listed with the district is a Confederate Monument first erected in 1907 - one of made white bronze (zink alloy).