Fort Pocahontas at Wilson's Wharf

Fort Pocahontas was a defensive fort built and manned by United States Colored Troops under the command of Brig. Generals Edward A. Wild and Benjamin Butler.  On May 24, 1864, the fort was attacked by Confederate Cavalry led by Maj. Gen. Fitzhugh Lee.  The action resulted in a decisive victory for the USCT who were outmanned by the much larger attacking force.

The walking tour of the fort includes the earthen bastions, breastworks and gun ramps and the Binford House (ca 1740), which was moved to this location from Southampton County in 2000.  The house contains a museum of artifacts uncovered during archeological studies.  Panoramic views of the James River are provided both from the high bluff and the river landing.

Tours are available by appointment only.

Fees

 0