Cross at Cape Henry

The Cape Henry Memorial Cross, located on the tip of Cape Henry, marks the approximate site where Jamestown settlers first landed in the New World on April 27, 1607. The cross was erected in 1935 by the Daughters of the American Colonists, and the site became a part of Colonial National Historic Park, Yorktown. It was relocated to the land side of the dune in 1981 to prevent its possible loss by erosion. It was relocated through the efforts of the Army, the Park Service and the City of Virginia Beach.