Charles City County Courthouse

Here Simcoe's British cavalry surprised a party of militia, January 8, 1781. Here Grant's army passed on its way to the river, June, 1864. One of Virginia's important colonial courthouses built in the early 1730's. This courthouse was the scene of considerable fighting during the Civil War and many of its colonial records were lost. The brickwork is very similar to nearby Westover Church causing experts to assume the two structures were erected by the same builder.