Carter Hydraulic Water Rams

The Carter Hydraulic Rams are remnant water system in Town of Hillsville. The rams date to around 1924 and represent an early water transport approach. They were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2002 and are one of only two such resources listed in the United States.  They are preserved in the Carter Pines Community Park owned by Carroll County. The rams are located in a portion of the park along the Carter Pines Trail which is connected to the Beaver Dam Trail next to the Carroll Wellness Center. The trail can also be accessed from the trail head next to the Carroll County Governmental Complex. The surrounding plant growth are large white pines - remnant of one of the first and last surviving early pine plantings in the state dating to 1930s. Rams were built by Industrialist George L. Carter for his personal use.