Carroll County Jail - Second Site
Site of Carroll County's second permanent jail, now preserved as an "archaeological footprint." Was in use from ca. 1866 until replaced with new facility 1938 (stands nearby). Building was torn down in the early 1960s. This jail was in use at the time of the Carroll County Courthouse Courtroom Shooting in March 1912. At least three public hanging occurred. Jail was located within the original 1842 County Public Lot. Archaeological investigations uncovered the site in 2002 and the ruin was marked by its footprint (outline) with paving brick. Portion of wall within a parking island has been rebuilt. Location now known as "Jail House Square" where outdoor stage hosts outdoor concerts and other events. Interpretive signage will be installed in future. Site part of downtown walking tour - visit Carroll County Historical Museum for details.