Campbells Bridge

Part of Robert E. Lee's Confederate army crossed to the north bank of the Appomattox River here the night of April 2, 1865 as he evacuated Petersburg. Lee ordered all the bridges burned following the crossing to impede Union pursuit. This portion of the Confederate army turned west, later re-crossing the Appomattox near Amelia C.H. The retreat ended at Appomattox CH April 9.