Bush Mill

The only restored operational mill in the region, Bush Mill was built between 1896 and 1897 by W.T. Fraizer, Stephen Bush and William Bush. Machinery in the mill is intact.

Sometimes called Bond Mill in reference to the original owner, S.H. Bond, the present mill replaced an older one that was located at the same site which burned. Valentine Bush purchased the original mill sometime in the early 1800's and also built a water-powered sawmill upstream and a water powered wool carding machine downstream. The original wooden water wheel was built by Franklin and James Stewart, noted wheelwrights in the region. At the time the mill was built, Valentine Bush was 88 years old and was assisted by his sons, Stephen and William. Recently restored, 1896 water-powered grist mill that uses stones to grind grain into meal.  There will be a shuttle running from Nickelsville Elementary to Bush Mill every 15 minutes starting at 10:00 am and ending at 5:00 pm.