This historic landmark was built ca. 1800 on Linville Creek by pioneer Abraham Breneman, who migrated from Pennsylvania in 1770. It is a four-story brick water-powered mill that is the only pre-Civil War mill remaining in Rockingham County with all the grist mill equipment still in place. This old mill survived the "burning" of the Valley by General Sheridan's troops in 1864. It is on the National Register of Historic Places and as a Virginia Landmark. It had been in continuous operation until 1988 when its last owner, J. Howard Turner, died. Efforts are now being made to restore and preserve it.
Visitors may walk around the mill at any time. It is located a few miles north of Harrisonburg. About two miles from the city on Rt 42, turn left (west) on Brenneman Church Road, go about a mile and the mill will be on your right. For dates and times when the mill will be open and grinding grain from May 15 to October 30, call 540-438-1275. To schedule an appointment for a private tour of the mill, call Ken Weaver at 540-833-1449.