Boone Trail Highway Marker

Between 1913 and 1938, the Boone Trail Highway Memorial Association placed cast iron markers throughout the United States. This was an effort to help promote coast to coast highway improvement, tourist travel, patriotism, remembrance of the Battleship Maine, education, memorializing pioneer hero Daniel Boone, and community unity and spirit.  The markers were cast from metal recovered from the Battleship Maine.

The marker in Hillsville was originally dedicated on October 19, 1928 when it was placed on the grounds of the old High School.  In the 1980s, it was placed on the wall of a building in downtown Hillsville.  The location is on the Hillsville Walking Tour.  Further information available from the Carroll County Historical Society; including a book written by society member, Everett G. Marshall, on the history of the marker program.