Swannanoa Palace Open House

Major James Dooley, an executive with the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad  Company, completed construction of the $2 million Swannanoa in 1912.  Dooley, who owned the Maymont estate is Richmond, built this 52-room  marble palace as a token of love for his wife, Sally May. More than 300  artisans were hired to create the palace as a replica of the Villa de  Medici in Rome. They used the highest quality materials available.  Visitors today can still see the depth of James and Sally May's  relationship is places like the 4,000 piece Tiffany stained-glass window  and a domed ceiling bearing the likeness of Mrs. Dooley. The name  Swannanoa comes from Mrs. Dooley's fondness for swans, which she liked  because they choose their mates for a lifetime. For information on group tours or events call Phil Dulaney 540-942-5201.

 

Event Dates/Times

9/13/2014 - 9/14/2014
 11:30 AM - 5:30 PM
9/20/2014 - 9/21/2014
 11:30 AM - 5:30 PM
9/27/2014 - 9/28/2014
 11:30 AM - 5:30 PM
10/4/2014 - 10/5/2014
 11:30 AM - 5:30 PM
10/11/2014 - 10/12/2014
 11:30 AM - 5:30 PM
10/18/2014 - 10/19/2014
 11:30 AM - 5:30 PM
10/25/2014 - 10/26/2014
 11:30 AM - 5:30 PM
11/1/2014 - 11/2/2014
 11:30 AM - 5:30 PM
5/2/2015 - 5/3/2015
 11:30 AM - 5:30 PM
5/30/2015 - 5/31/2015
 11:30 AM - 5:30 PM
6/6/2015 - 6/7/2015
 11:30 AM - 5:30 PM
6/27/2015 - 6/28/2015
 11:30 AM - 5:30 PM