People's Cemetery

S. Crater Road near Mingea Street - Petersburg's cemeteries were segregated by race and by religion.  In 1815, the Petersburg Beneficial Society of Free Men of Color was established to support its free black members in times of sickness and death.  Beneficial Trustees purchased their first lot in 1840.  Peoples Cemetery, also known as Providence Cemetery, incorporates the second Beneficial Society lot.  In 1985, this African- American cemetery was deeded over to the City of Petersburg.