First Baptist Church

The oldest                                 African-American Baptist church in the nation, First Baptist                                 Church had a very humble beginning in Prince George County                                 when a group of Blacks known as the New Lights gathered for                                 worship.  In 1756 Elders William Murphy, Phillips, and Mackey                                 preached to the scattered members of New Lights.  However, in                                 1774, the Rev. John Michaels united them and formed a regular                                 Baptist Church known as the First African Baptist Church.                                  Later this organization moved to Petersburg, VA and a house of                                 worship was built on Harrison Street near the present                                 location; Elder John Benn was pastor.  This                                 house was a victim of fire and the congregation moved to Oak                                 Street.